occasions dresses, such as from OuterInner.com, you need to approach it differently than just going to a local clothing store and picking out a dress! It's crucial to have a good idea of your measurements and to choose dresses based on measurements, not only a standard size (like 10, 14, etc). In this blog we'll show you how to measure yourself, things to look out for, and some tips to make sure that you get a great fitting dress.
"Why Are Measurements So Important? In A Store I Just Pick Out My Size..."Good question. In a store you can choose your usual size, say a 10, but then you can go try this dress on and make sure it fits well. This is good as you can try it in advance, but you pay a LOT more than when shopping on line. Because you can't try your dress on in advance when shopping on line it's important to check your sizes well as then you can be happy that your occasions dresses will be a good fit when you receive them, AND you'll save a lot over buying locally!
"How Do I Measure Myself?"
If you can follow these simple tips then you're half way to being able to take accurate measurements. You can also check OuterInner's measuring chart here.
Tips For Taking Your Dress Measurements
- Ask a friend to help you, or go to a local dress store and ask them to help take your measurements (then write them down). It's hard to be accurate on your own.
- Take your measurements wearing the underwear you're likely to be wearing under your dress.
- Your bust & waist measurements are crucial. Hips are also important, but be aware that a dress with a full skirt will give your hips more room, whereas bust and waist are usually fitted.
- Always compare your measurements to those of the dress you would like to order! You can see the dress standard size measurements on each dress page here:
- Be prepared to measure up as a different size to those that you usually wear from your local store. Occasions dresses are a different kind of clothing to everyday wear.
- If in doubt choose a slightly larger size than yourself, as it's a lot easier to take dresses in later to make them fit perfectly.
- When buying occasions dresses on line it's very normal to need to make small alterations when you receive the dress. As with any formal wear, they often need to be adjusted for a perfect fit by a seamstress, just the same as if you were buying a formal dress from a local boutique.
Got your size down and need to order fabric swatches? Read this blog.